Ever get in a slump and can’t get excited about drumming? This is often due to lack of motivation or stimulation. Just as you would read positive books of wisdom and understanding to improve yourself as a person, the same holds true with drumming. You must find ways to be excited about playing. The following offer a few suggestions:
1. Surround yourself with great musicians. When you’re around great
players, you will strive to be the best yourself. It rubs off, I promise!
2. Buy a new cymbal, piece of hardware, or drumset. Sure, it’s a bit expensive, but it never fails to help get the juices flowing.
3. Listen to great drummers on CD and Video. The more you hear, the
more you will have the desire to play like them.
4. Go to drum clinics! What can I say, if you don’t walk away inspired by a great clinic, then you probably shouldn’t be playing.
5. Set goals for yourself. No matter how small the goal, it
gives you something to strive for and gives you a sense of purpose in life. Life is more fulfilling when you’re moving forward.
6. Take some lessons. Despite your level of experience, lessons always seem to inspire us. You will find new approaches, viewpoints, and techniques that you may have never encountered otherwise. Even the greats will often go back and study with a teacher after a long successful career. They are maintaining goals in their life and assuring continual motivation, excitement, and competitiveness.